Thursday, May 7, 2015
Pumpkin Biscotti Recipe
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 3/4 cups hazelnuts, chopped
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together your flour, salt, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice until completely combined. Set aside.
• In the bowl of your stand mixer (with paddle attachment fixed), cream together the pumpkin and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at at time, making sure the first one is completely incorporate before you add the second one. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. In 1/2 cup increments add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until all is incorporated, or until you have a very thick 'cookie-like' dough. Gently fold in with a heavy wooden spoon the chopped hazelnuts
• Flour your work surface and dump the dough onto it. Mold into a 12 inch by 4 inch log and transfer to your baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until just hard to the touch (be careful).
• Remove from the oven and let cool COMPLETELY for about 45 minutes to an hour. Transfer the parchment paper along with the biscotti to a cutting board and cut 1/2 inch slices out of the log. Line your baking sheet with another sheet of parchment paper. Lay out the biscotti slices, cut side down. Bake again for about 15 minutes or until crispy.
• Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
• Once the biscotti has cooled slightly, dip in vanilla glaze or white chocolate if you wish or serve plain with a cup of coffee! Enjoy!
• The biscotti can be stored at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.